My Beautiful Experience

Monday, October 01, 2007

Movin' on up!

Its eleven nineteen on Monday night. I just got home from eating dinner at my new friend Charlotte's house. She is the lovely young woman I have been assisting at Macy*s. She is tiny and adorable, a few years older than me with big curly hair, brown skin and sparkly brown eyes. She was raised by a teen mom and a heroin addicted dad, both mexican, in the midwest. She lived in Seattle for a short time and loved it, thats what got me the in with her at the outset. She does beautiful work and is a rare find in this industry, down to earth, competent and real. Her ipod selection was so enviable that I was forced to buy a new ipod and steal all her music, she had me ship it to her and she put the entire eleven thousand song content of her pod on it and programmed all my settings for me. She rocks. So I went to pick it up and she invited me to stay for dinner with her and her boyfriend, a half jewish photographer of french parentage who grew up in Australia. It was a lovely dinner attended by one of his friends, a corporate team builder in from sydney, a hairdresser friend of Charlotte's who was gearing up to do Donna Karan's hair the next day and a swedish photographers assistant in NYC for the week on a job.
Today I worked the first of a two day shoot for children's place, a massive childrens clothing chain. It wasnt that much fun, the photographer and the producer are both German, so it had an overwhelmingly chilly krauty energy and the client rep was a weathered, bitchy jap whose, hard won still slender frame did little to make up for her haggard countenance and age innapropriate dress. Shes the sort of woman who assumes everyone below her in the heirarchy of the shoot is of below average IQ and should be spoken past, and hopefully avoided altogether. If you make a friendly comment or joke her way, shell scrunch up her face in some parody of a smile and seamlessly start talking to someone else about something else. Introduce yourself and she'll shake your hand limply and say nice to meet you and not tell you her name. that kind of energy from the person running the show has a kind of trickle down affect on the whole crew. It really took the cake when the photographer brought her six month old infant over to us for a "maddox" which they had apparantly given him in Ibiza when she was there over the summer and she kvelled about how it looked GREAT on him. Well maybe so but he wasnt loving the hair dryer (CAUSE HES A BABY!!!) and his limp blond hair which hadnt been cut in months wasnt loving the stand up action necessitated by the jolie-pitt's little PR dream fauxhawk. Ugh, so annoying.
I was assisting Peter Valley, the selfsame phenomenal makeup artist and hairstylist who I will be accompanying to CABO SAN LUCAS for a week next sunday!! Ill be there for six days at www.marquisloscabos.com. Eat yer heart out!! I couldnt need to get out of here more. I worked a day with Peter for a Macy*s fur spread and the next day his agency called and asked if i could make it to Cabo in a couple of weeks. I had to jump ship on a wedding I had committed to, which i felt crappo about and ditch out on a fall trip through Vermont with Ben, but I had to take it. That kind of opportunity comes around rarely and can lead to big things. Im nervous, because I dont stay up all night snorting coke, listening to electronica and neo folk and taking tequila shots and I think most of the fashion photo set does, but I tested the party waters with Peter, a white guy who hails (fourth generation) from Kingston Jamaica, and he says he throws in the towel early and leaves the kids to party. I was seriously releived to hear that esp since we shoot starting at like five AM to beat the heat that sets in by one or two. The shoot is for Talbots, who takes four trips to Cabo per season, and Im the only assistant so I dont think itll be too terribly demanding. but you never know.
The salon has been busy as heck lately. Sunday I did a wedding at seven thirty AM for a sweet but dry white couple both with nervous laughs who plan to honey moon in South Africa. I then ran to the salon for ten o clock and was booked solid on the hour until six pm. All requests. My feet felt horrendous by the time i got out of there. But I did good hair, which I needed since I got my first bad review on line this week. Ill try to find it and post it for you later but for now...Its now eleven thirty seven and i have to be up doing pro kid models (very creepy) hair in a matter of hours. Hair never rests! Ta ta!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home